The highest court in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has upheld the right of a man to beat his wife and children for the purpose of “disciplining” them, but only so long as the beating leaves no discernible bruises or marks and is not too “severe.” In addition, a man must first exhaust admonition and abstaining from sleeping with his wife as forms of correction before resorting to a beating.
According to the court, a man who goes beyond these restrictions abuses his “right” under sharia law and is subject to a fine. In the case at issues, a husband had “slapped and cicked” his 23 year-old daughter and “slapped his wife.” The court found that the beating too severe because it left bruises on the wife, and concluded that the daughter was too old for such treatment.
Boy, women and children in the UAE can breathe a sigh of relief after this lamp of liberty was lit, can’t they? What is, perhaps, most frightening about this decision is that the UAE is often considered by western officials to be one of the more “democratic” of the Mideast countries. However, the State Department webpage on the UAE lists the following as continued problems for democracy in the UAE:
• no citizens’ right to change the government and no popularly elected representatives of any kind
• flogging as judicially sanctioned punishment
• arbitrary detention
• incommunicado detention permitted by law
• questionable independence of the judiciary
• restrictions on civil liberties–freedom of speech and of the press, and assembly
• restrictions on right of association, particularly for human rights groups
• restrictions on religious freedom
• domestic abuse of women, sometimes enabled by police
• trafficking in women and children
• legal and societal discrimination against women and noncitizens
• corruption and lack of government transparency
• abuse of foreign domestic servants
• restrictions on and abuses of workers’ rights
You can read more about the decision here.
- Court in UAE says wife, child beating OK if no marks are left (cnn.com)
- Islamic court: It’s OK to beat your wife as long as you leave no marks (jihadwatch.org)
- Man can beat his wife and children ‘as long as no physical marks are made’ (telegraph.co.uk)